Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Watermelon Factor







It’s summertime and the heat is on! One of my favorite foods to eat during these hot days of summer is watermelon. It’s juicy, refreshing, thirst quenching and low in calories since it’s 92% water (Weigth Watcher’s pick of the season)!

I was reading one of my favorite magazines only to discover the melon that I take such pleasure in eating is really good for my health! Did you know that the cool and delicious watermelon is filled with great nutritional value for the body?

In fact it may even help to promote the magnificent state of… sleep! I had no idea that it has the highest concentration of Lycopene compared to other fruits and veggies. Lycopene, in a nutshell, is an anitoxidant that we’ve all heard and read about which helps to prevent the formation of harmful free radicals that destroy cell membranes.

Much to my delight I learned that among other nutrients, watermelon is high in vitamin B6 used in manufacturing brain chemicals such as:

1. Serotonin

2. Melatonin

3. Dopamine

These neurotransmitters help the body cope with anxiety, panic, and stress and when the levels rise at night, the brain may be less sensitive to disruptive stimuli during sleep.

By eating watermelon, this nutrient filled melon, I can help to increase the levels of serotonin, melatonin and dopamine.

Who would have thought that watermelon is jammed with valuable and calming nutrients which just may play a roll in helping me relaxed and journey effortlessly into dreamland.

For more information on the wonders of the watermelon visit the following site: http://www.watermelon.org/

Discover the Gift of Sleep – sleepcompass.com - Nancy

No comments: